Project Lead’s Message:
Diarrhoea is one of the significant contributors to morbidity and mortality in the country among children under five years of age with approximately 53,000 deaths yearly. These deaths can be prevented by simple, cost-effective intervention at the household level if all children suffering from diarrhoea receive timely Zinc and LOORS combination treatment. But unfortunately, inadequate availability of Zinc and LOORS at the primary healthcare level in both public & private sectors and caregiver recognition of the need for help or their ability to seek care resulted in poor control of these preventable deaths in Pakistan. With the support of Nutrition International, Greenstar aims to reduce child morbidity and mortality due to diarrhoea in Pakistan by improving access to LOORS and Zinc, and bringing sustainable behaviour changes among caregivers about the use of LOORS and Zinc in combination.
Our objective is to institutionalize Zinc and LOORS for diarrhoea treatment in children under 5 years of age. Training of Sabz Sitara healthcare providers on the treatment of diarrhoea using Zinc and LOORS is also included in our program. We need to increase community awareness and knowledge on diarrhoea prevention and management by using Zinc and LOORS as the first-line treatment of diarrhoea. Our lady social mobilizers, Sitara Bajis along with the support of Sabz Sitara Healthcare Providers are working with us for this mission.
- 50 Master Trainers trained on case management of diarrhoea.
- Over 3,000 Sabz Sitara healthcare providers trained in case management of diarrhoea across three provinces.
- 350 Sitara Bajis trained to support the community-based intervention.
- Availability of Zinc and LOORS at 3,000 Sabz Sitara clinics (private sector) across three provinces.
- More than 700,000 diarrhoea cases were treated through Zinc and LOORS combination in children under 5 years of age.